CLICK HERE FOR FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES, LINK BUTTONS AND MORE! »

Thursday, November 4, 2010

Self diagnosis?

I've been watching alot of tv lately, more than usual. I've noticed I'm seeing alot more commercials for "Cancer Treatment Centers of America" so it got me thinking. I googled MRI pituitary tumors and somehow stumbled upon a blog of a woman the exact same age as me. She had a little boy not long after I had Hayden. Similar symptoms. She was diagnosed with Prolactinoma. So I googled that... this is what it told me...

Overview
A prolactinoma is a noncancerous pituitary tumor that produces a hormone called prolactin. This results in too much prolactin in the blood.
Alternative Names
Prolactinoma - females; Adenoma - secreting; Prolactin-secreting adenoma of the pituitary
Causes
Prolactin is a hormone that triggers the breasts to produce milk (lactation).

Prolactinoma is the most common type of pituitary tumor (adenoma). It makes up at least 30% of all pituitary adenomas. Most pituitary tumors are noncancerous (benign). Prolactinoma may occur as part of a hereditary disorder called multiple endocrine neoplasia type 1 (MEN 1)

Prolactinomas occur most commonly in people under age 40. They are about five times more common in women than men, but are rare in children.

At least half of all prolactinomas are very small (less than 1 cm or 3/8 of an inch in diameter). These microprolactinomas are more common in women. Many small tumors remain small and never get larger.

Larger tumors, called macroprolactinomas, are more common in men. Prolactinomas in men tend to occur at an older age and can grow to a large size before any symptoms appear.

Symptoms
In women:
•Abnormal milk flow from the breast in a woman who is not pregnant or nursing (galactorrhea)
•Breast tenderness
•Decreased sexual interest
•Headache
•Infertility
•Stopping of menstruation not related to menopause
•Vision changes
In men:
•Decreased sexual interest
•Enlargement of breast tissue (gynecomastia)
•Headache
•Impotence
•Infertility
•Vision changes

Symptoms caused by pressure from a larger tumor may include:
•Headache
•Lethargy
•Nasal drainage
•Nausea and vomiting
•Problems with the sense of smell
•Vision changes
◦Double vision
◦Drooping eyelids
◦Visual field loss

Note: There may be no symptoms, particularly in men.

Tests & diagnosis
•Cranial MRI or cranial CT scan showing a pituitary mass
•Decreased testosterone levels in men
•Prolactin levels

Treatment
Not everyone needs treatment for prolactinoma.

Medication is usually successful in treating prolactinoma. Surgery is done in some cases where the tumor may damage vision.

In women, treatment can improve:
•Infertility
•Irregular menstruation
•Loss of sexual interest
•Milk flow not related to childbirth or nursing

Men should be treated when they have:
•Decreased sexual drive
•Impotence
•Infertility

Large prolactinomas generally must be treated to prevent vision loss.

Bromocriptine and cabergoline are drugs that reduce prolactin levels in both men and women. They usually must be taken for life. If the drug is stopped, the tumor may grow and produce prolactin again, especially if it is a large tumor. Most people respond well to these drugs, although large prolactinomas are more difficult to treat. Both drugs may cause dizziness and upset stomach.

Using bromocriptine over time can reduce the chance of being cured by removing the tumor. Therefore, if surgery is needed, it is best to remove the tumor during the first 6 months of using this drug.

Radiotherapy with conventional radiation or gamma knife is usually reserved for patients with prolactinoma that continues or gets worse after both medication and surgery.

Prognosis
The outlook depends on the success of medical therapy or surgery. Tests to check whether the tumor has returned after treatment are important.

Complications
•Bleeding
•Tumor regrowth

If untreated, a growing tumor can press on the optic nerves and cause:

•Blindness
•Double vision
•Permanent vision loss


CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!

The symptoms are spot on!! This may very well be whats going on upstairs.

I made the first step in scheduling my MRI. I called to get an estimate of how much I'll have to pay out of pocket, after our insurance covers it. So I'm waiting for the lady to call me back with an estimate. Then I'll go ahead and schedule it so we can get a diagnosis. We shall see! I thought I'd share this with anyone willing to read because I found it interesting and intriguing.

X's & O's!!

1 comments:

Shy

I'm glad you found me :) I think it is awesome that you are being so proactive! I wish I would have been from day one, but better late than never...I can't believe your dr. bill was soooooooooooooo much! Was it a mistake??? I look forward to reading your blog...I hope you don't mind :)